Standard honor military funerals can include:
- Flag Presentation Service by a veterans honor guard
- A Final Salute at the gravesite
- Playing of Taps
Full honor military funerals include all standard honors in addition to the following:
- Depending on their rank, general officers and flag officers receive a gun salute
- The US flag draped over the casket, and given to the next of kin following the service
- The playing of Taps
Other Veteran Benefits
In addition to coordinating honors related to the service itself, we can help you communicate with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to arrange for:
- A Presidential Memorial Certificate: This is a certificate expressing the nation's recognition of the veteran's service. The veteran's name is inscribed, and the certificate bears the signature of the President.
- Headstones or markers: The VA provides headstones and markers for the graves of veterans anywhere in the world and for eligible dependents of veterans buried in national, state, or military cemeteries.
- Memorial plots: If an eligible veteran's remains are not available for burial, the VA will provide a plot and headstone or marker in a national cemetery for memorialization. If you wish to place the memorial in a cemetery other than a national cemetery, the VA will provide the headstone or marker but not the plot itself.
- Burial in a VA national cemetery: This includes the gravesite, opening and closing of the grave, a grave box, and perpetual care.
- Reimbursement of burial expenses: For information on eligibility and the different levels of potential reimbursement, please review their Guide to VA Burial Allowances.
Please visit the following links for detailed information about the options available for honoring service members and other aspects of military funerals:
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Click on Veteran Services and look underneath the Burials & Memorials heading.
- Honoring Those Who Served. An explanation of the various types of honors available for military funerals.
- Social Security: Widows, Widowers & Other Survivors. Helpful information about Social Security.
- Iowa Veterans Cemetery. Information on eligibility for burial, events and direction
- Linn County Veterans Affairs. Helps eligible veterans apply for compensation and pension programs.
- Iowa Department of Veterans Affairs.